There can be no debate that the impact of climate change is being felt across St. Kitts & Nevis. As such, the Ministry of Environment convened a workshop to discuss adaptation measures that can be undertaken, given the resources and constraints of the Federation. There is currently a draft National Climate Change Policy before Cabinet for approval. The workshop was designed to recommend strategies to support the Policy.
The working group identified the following areas of vulnerability.
- Agriculture (livestock and food)
- Marine and coastal infrastructure
- Health and human environment
There are a few cross-cutting themes:
- The need to create an environment to make all sectors more sustainable and resilient to climate change.
- The need to identify and implement innovative renewable energy projects across all sectors.
The main constraints identified were lack of finance and human resources.
A identification of a lead agency and the compilation of the recommendations is pending.